I’ve had a number of people ask me, “What is this Vulnerable Project” thing you’re working on?
So I thought I’d take a few minutes and restate what our goals are with The Vulnerable Project and how we hope to accomplish them.
The 30,000 ft. goals (in other words, the really big, broad stroke goals):
- The reduction in the number of poverty orphans in the world. Poverty orphans are children who are given up for adoption strictly because their parents who want to care for them aren’t able to due to extreme poverty.
- Helping vulnerable families make it through a crisis intact. That crisis could take a variety of forms but the common thread is that it is something that, with some help, they could make it through with the family intact. Examples – a serious medical condition, death of a spouse and loss of income, a natural disaster that wipes out housing, just to name a few…….
Moving down to ground level, what do these God sized goals look like?
- What we are not going to do: We are not going to attempt to put projects in place on the ground that will actually do the work that is going to happen to achieve those two goals. We don’t know the dynamics, we don’t know the language (probably), we don’t know the culture.
- What we are going to do: We are going to find existing organizations that are already doing the work and support them. Organizations that are working on the main goals of The Vulnerable Project already exist in almost every country that has vulnerable children and families. We’re going to find them and support them to help them do what they do better.
What does that mean on a day to day basis?
- Project based support – All of the work we do will be project based. That means it will have a measureable, trackable, finite goal to it. Examples – a new inverter, a new piece of medical equipment, new textbooks, airfare to bring professionals in for staff training.
- Education and awareness – through a variety of writing and speaking opportunities, we’ll work to raise the awareness of the issues that vulnerable children and families face. If you’d like to have someone speak to your group or do a guest post on a blog or something else to help spread awareness of these answers to the orphan crisis, e-mail me at email@example.com.
- Consulting services – if an organization that is working on behalf of vulnerable children and their families would like assistance in some way with their marketing, social media, fundraising and/or donor communications, they can apply for a grant to get that assistance.
How do we propose to fund The Vulnerable Project?
- We are not going to seek 501©3 status. We don’t want to be a charity. Our goal is to be a business that is devoted to doing social good by means of caring for the vulnerable. We want to work towards being financially self sustaining so we are generating opportunities and not taking donations.
- So how are you going to fund The Vulnerable Project? There’s three main ways we are planning on funding The Vulnerable Project:
- Online store sales – whether it’s goods that are created in the third world and create jobs there or whether they are other products that we can sell to generate funds, our goal is to make a substantial amount of the income needed to fund The Vulnerable Project through online store sales. Stay tuned to http://thevulnerableproject.org/store/ for more on that.
- Speaking, consulting and writing opportunities. If you know an organization that would like to have someone talk about the issues of the vulnerable children and families (or anything else related to the orphan crisis let me know.
- Book sales – I’m currently working on Book #1 of a series of books – the series is called “Ten Things About Adoption.” The goal is to increase knowledge and support of adopted children and their families and make the process and the realities of adoption smoother, more understood and less stressful.
Want to help? A couple of ways you can help:
- Keep an eye on the store and as we get more goods on there, buy some stuff and spread the word about it.
- If you know anyone who would be interested in us selling their goods online, let me know by e-mailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Know anyone who wants someone to come talk to their group or write a guest post for their blog or website? Let me know.
- As the books get completed and put up for sale, buy one and tell your friends and family. Trust me, I’ll make it obvious when they are ready.
Thank you for reading this far. Thank you for caring about the children of the world. I’m looking forward to seeing what God does with this!